Employee attributes are incredibly valuable when you are analysing the feedback from your organisation as they allow you to analyse and compare different employee groups. This is why it is important that you ask the right questions and setup answers appropriately when you are collecting employee feedback with an anonymous survey.
Please note that Qlearsite cannot provide guarantees about the collection of demographic information, including the social propriety and/or the legality of collecting this information in all places around the world. We recommend that you always consult your legal counsel prior to survey distribution.
Sending a confidential survey and using your HR data? This article might be more helpful.
What can you ask in an attribute question?
Attribute questions help you get deeper insight into your employee data, so think about how you might want to segment your organisation to understand the employee experience. Some topics you could ask about include:
- Sex and gender identity
- Ethnic background
- Religion or belief
- Disability status
- Marriage or civil partnership status
- Sexual orientation
- Pregnancy and maternity status
Give people the option not to answer an attribute question
Attribute questions can be personal and sensitive so it is important to give people the option not to respond. When setting up the answers that a respondent can select from, always provide the option “Prefer not to say”
How to setup an attribute question
- Select the the appropriate question type. For most attribute questions, the Select One question type is most appropriate. Respondents will select one answer from the list. However, some attribute questions should allow a respondent to select more than one. For example, when asking an individual if any conditions or illnesses affect them, they should be able to select all that apply.
- Make sure you tick the checkbox to make this question an attribute. This means that you’ll be able to easily filter and segment your respondents using this question.
- Enter a short name or label for this attribute. The attribute name is displayed in the Respondent widget so it’s best to keep it concise.
Attribute questions enable better analysis and insight of your employee feedback. Attributes cannot be added once a survey is live or when it has closed, so it is very important that you include these questions when designing your survey.